Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Learning the ropes of arthritis and prolonging surgery

So after a couple years of dealing with pain and trying to diagnose what is happening in my body I have recently found out that I have basically degeneration on my right hip which is most likely the cause of the excruciating back pain I have dealt with for the past year. If you got into details it would include moderate osteoarthritis, synovial herniation, femoral head neck offset, labral tear and a cyst in my right hip. I have been told by a surgeon recently that the only thing that will take my pain away is a hip replacement. Seeing that I am only 32 years old they are not in a hurry to do that because the longer I can hold off the less surgeries I will have to have. Hips only last for so long which means there is a good possibility of having to have a revision to the hip. Each revision I believe takes away more bone and puts you at greater risk for complications. 

Even though I didn't think I was going to be having to learn about arthritis at 32 that is reality. I need to learn how to reduce inflammation. What I should and shouldn't be doing to manage my condition. Even though the journey has been challenging giving up has never been an option for me. 

What is osteoarthritis?

According to the mayo clinic: Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis, affecting millions of people around the world. Often called wear-and-tear arthritis, osteoarthritis occurs when the protective cartilage on the ends of your bones wears down over time.

This morning I went to the gym. First time in a long time. Had a great massage yesterday and I felt renewed. I have read that one of the best exercise for hips is cycling and the pool. One of the worst things you can do for arthritis I believe is stop moving. Today I tryed 20mins on the recumbent bike. Some push-ups. Started with full push-ups which I noticed was straining my lower back probably due to a weak core muscles do for now I brought it down to my knees which took a lot of ease off my back. I tryed some quad, calf and hamstring stretching as well as stretching my arms up in the air and behind me to get my back a little. The hip plays a hug part in movement which means I need to move about this progression slowly and mindfully. So far so good! 



No comments:

Post a Comment