Saturday, June 8, 2013

Race day


"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt."

~William Shakespeare


Today I ran the sound to narrows which is a 12k run in tacoma Washington. I haven't been running very long so this was my first race in preparation for the rock and roll marathon in Seattle. This will be my first half marathon. After my run today I can tell you it will suck but will also be a great accomplishment. After that maybe a full....Maybe! 26 miles does sound ridiculous but hey those are the kind of challenges I like. ;)

Today I started off pretty fast or I should say pretty fast for me. But let's face it...isn't it ultimately about running your own race? I run for me and as with all my fitness endeavors I do it to improve myself and be the best I can be. So I was ranging a little over 7 mins per mile and thought well I will just try to keep this pace. As the race continued I found I was still running under 8 mins per mile. I kept telling myself I could do it. At one point my pace went to 7:59 and I thought to myself you will not loose it now pick it up!  Next as I was struggling with a hill an Eminem song came on. Called till I collapse. It talked about never giving up no matter how bad you want to fall on your face. That's right! You can do so much more then you think you can do. When your mind and body are telling you to stop. You tell it you can do it. Fight through and you will end up where you never thought you could be. 

Now to continue my training for my half marathon. I am ready to do something I said I never would be able to do! 



No comments:

Post a Comment