Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Day 1 Whole 30 Diet - 2014 New Year Better Me


"Year’s end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us. Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.” 

-  Optah Winfrey 




After a small glass of champagne at midnight to celebrate bringing in the new year the journey to a healthier me has begun. Not that I was completely unhealthy before but let's face it we just strive for perfection but will never reach it. We just try to get one step closer each day. I definitely got off track over the holidays and I am very excited to start fresh. I know I feel so much better when I eat right and very much looking forward to getting that feeling back. 

This morning I started off with a cup of coffee with coconut milk. Three eggs, 1/2 avacado and 1 small apple for breakfast. I have already had two large glasses of water which means frequent bathroom breaks are about to begin but water is one the most important things I need to improve upon this year. 



Now my husband is not fond at all of the coffee with coconut milk so we bought him some black tea. Yerba matte is also a good choice for tea in the morning from my experience. 

The rest of the day I didn't really focus on cooking until it was time for lunch. I like my spaghetti squash with clarified butter and hot sauce. Hot sauce is accepted on the diet you just have to make sure it doesn't have unapproved ingredients. So I quickly put some butter in a pot melted it thoroughly and then let it sit for a while. I scooped the white portion on the top and used a small strainer with the tiny holes. Some recipies say to use cheesecloth but that wasn't available to me so I modified and did the best I could. I found out around dinner time though that the butter doesn't microwave very well as it exploded all over. What a mess! After you make your butter you combine one half hot sauce and one half butter. 

I finally cooked another batch of chicken so that there would be enough for tomorrow. Between me and my husband it doesn't last long. Then came the dishes. I can see this is going to get out of control quick since I can only do a certain amount then have to rest my back so I don't overdue it and become in excruciating pain again. 

I have done better then I have been doing with my water. I had 4 - 16 oz glasses of the flavored water I prepared yesterday. Definitely comes in handy. I rotate flavored which keeps me from getting bored with it. I have also had 2-3 cups of herbal (non-caffeinated) tea. 

I think I can decrease my portion sizes a little as I am very full after I eat a meal but I ate 3 large meals when I should be trying to eat 5-6 meals/snacks per day. Something to improve upon. Smaller meals more frequently keeps the metabolism going vs large meals kinda overload the body. 

So far I feel fantastic. Don't have much energy right now but it's the end of the day. Dedication and pushing through one day at a time will lead me to success and eventually eating healthy will once again become a habit. 

Just to add I started taking fish oil today 1 tbs this morning and ended my day with a calcium magnesium supplement. 

My first workout included:
3 sets of 20 - wall push ups 
3 sets of 10 - split squats with back leg on chair

I felt some slight soreness in my back after the squats but after sitting down for a bit it is starting to improve. Will have to monitor how it affected me. One amazing thing is is how hard the wa push-ups were for me. I guess not being able to workout much for over 6 months it's for sure going to be a challenge getting back into things as my back allows. 




No comments:

Post a Comment