Friday, July 19, 2013

Where to go from here...the journey continued

“Peace of mind, attained only through self-satisfaction and knowing you made the effort to do the best that you are capable.”

- John Wooden's Definition of Success


Today is Day 1 again on my journey to living a healthy life. You might be thinking right now...what does this mean? Well this journey to health and happiness is kind of like a roller coaster. Or I should say that is life. Life brings ups and downs, trials and errors, and failure's and successes. For the past year I have been struggling with the ups and downs of sports injuries. Could be that one stems from the next but the truth of the matter is you don't really know what is going on inside of the body without a lot of investigation. For the past 2 weeks I have been dealing with back pain causing me to not to be able to workout like I am used to. My exercise routine has been consisting of walking about 5 days a week. I do enjoy the walks but now I am starting to really miss my lifting. I guess I feel like I have been crazy obsessed over exercise during the last 4 years or so since I lost my weight. I get extremely frightened of the possibility of ever gaining my weight back which has probably helped me to keep it off this long. Just because I am saying it has helped me doesn't mean being paranoid is a very good thing. 

I would never tell anyone this journey is easy. I continue to try to search for ways to make this journey easier for myself and others. It is very very challenging working full time at the hospital, preparing meals, and being able to make it to the gym 1-2 hours a day. Oh and managing to have a life outside of all that. I continue on my journey to manage my stress and maintain my path to a healthy life. Striving each day to be the best I can be. To some my fitness career wouldn't look like much of a success. I am not the best at any activity I have chosen even though I would consider myself good. Do you have to be the best to be a success?

Today after working 8 hours at the hospital I went grocery shopping. Determined to find a way to make preparing food easier. Ok so maybe that will never happen but sometimes we just have to suck it up. After going to about 3 stores and finally getting home it was time to cook. Yes I was already tired. I experimented with some spices that are supposed to be very good for you and decrease inflammation. I cooked my chicken for about a minute each side on the stove in some coconut oil and spiced them with rosemary, sage, garlic, pepper, salt, and thyme. If I missed anything its just an after math of the brain having enough and shutting down. I don't even know how I am typing right now. After that I put the chicken in the oven for about 35 minutes. During this time I cut my spaghetti squash in half, scrapped out the seeds and put them upside down in a microwavable dish with a little bit of water at the bottom. Cooked that in the microwave for 10-13 minutes. I already had some kale and spinach salad in the fridge and some fresh berries from the local farmers market. Topped with a little honey mustard dressing and some carrots and tomatoes. 


This looked absolutely stunning until I cut my first piece of chicken with a knife and my hand slipped pushing half my salad off my plate and onto my lap and the floor which I can say my dog was very very happy about. Me on the other hand even though not surprised had to let out a big sigh. At this point all you can do is laugh well to cover up the wanting to cry after being completely exhausted from all the work you have done all day. But in the end it all turned out ok with a little walk after dinner to calm down.


The journey continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment