Monday, August 26, 2013

Learning about my body

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-  Stephen Hawking



I have to say rehabbing my back has been a huge learning experience for me in which now I almost feel as if I am in school with homework assignments and everything. I guess that is what happens when you get good medical care. Being a nurse myself I find all this very intriguing. Of course I learned about the muscles in school but for the last 4 years my focus has been on the veins and unless you deal with muscles day in and day out it is not very realistic to think you will remember them all. 

Today I learned about my multifidus muscles. Say what? Lol these are a small but I guess very important muscle in your back and supposedly a few of mine decided to take a vacation when they got tired of my back spasming and freaking out. I guess after a while they just decide to check out. So with a little contraction and relaxation work by putting my fingers on the muscles it will hopefully be able to train them to get back to work. 



Another thing I have discovered partially on my own and with a bit more education on it from my physical therapist is that when you are sitting it is best to sit with an anterior tilt vs. posterior tilt. Are you confused yet? Anterior tilt would be when you arch just the lower part of your spine, make  your bottom stick out and face your pubic bone to the ground. The posterior tilt is when you try to tuck your pelvis underneath (tuck your bum under), flatten the bottom of your lower back and face your pubic bone to the ceiling. Now I am of course no expert on all this stuff but it will be a continual learning process. But what I do know is I am becoming more aware of my body, how it feels, what helps and what doesn't. But for sure doing an anterior pelvic tilt when sitting down has been a tremendous pain reliever. 

Are you a visual learner?

Posterior Pelvic Tilt

Anterior Pelvic Tilt


So this is fantastic. I am making more and more progress each and everyday. Becoming more knowledgeable and mindful. And really looking forward to getting back to work next week which is when my self care and mindfulness about my body is going to be the ticket to my success in continuing my career and leading an active life. 

So the keys to recovery is understanding and knowledge. Persistence and dedication to finding what works. Don't ever let someone tell you there is not a way because when you stop trying you stop progressing. When you stop believing you stop living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment