Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Technology in Our Life, Our Mind and Our Sanity


I do sit and wonder in this whole world out there how many people are just like me. Probably so many more then I think. Wow, that is a pretty interesting thought. I was just sitting here imagining what others are doing and thinking at this very moment. What would happen if you put all of our thoughts together? Would they be very similar or completely different? Now I think I am getting sort of off topic and daydreaming instead.

To start with I know I am a big thinker. Of course aren't we all? It seems that is the nature of the mind. To think. Of course thinking wasn't as much of a problem when I had more to do to distract me. During my recovery from my back injury sitting at home all day everyday gives you way to much time to think. But going back to being distracted. It seems as a society a lot of the changes have been very good and beneficial but on the other hand probably not so much in other ways. If you think about all the distraction we all have on a daily basis from the busyness of our life and technology taking over no wonder we are all stressed and frantic. No wonder the amount of thinking we do has probably increased significantly.

Let's look at phones for instance. It originally started with just a phone from home. Which must have been so peaceful if you think about it. I don't even think anybody was able to leave a message originally. Now of course this would not work in today's society. But think about how distracted we get from our phone. We can do everything on it. When I was in my doctors office yesterday this lady was at the counter and said my phone is my life. She kind of repeated it over and over again and said she didn't know what she would do if something happened to her phone. As guilty as I am with getting kind of obsessed with my phone at times I realize the problem here.

Since I realize what is going on and what the problems are it gives me something to work on in my own life. I believe we need to live by example. Instead of focusing our attention on others and trying to change people around us, we really need to be putting all that attention in our self. How does change occur? I believe change happens by one person stepping out of the box. Finding a different way. Then when others see your success and realize how well your way works. It seems you would end up with change.

Now I am sure this discussion could go on forever but I think you get the picture. I think as a whole we should all breath more, think less (or I should say not get as involved in our thinking), and remember to enjoy the little things. Enjoy all the moments life has to offer because when we get too involved and worked up in the busyness we miss the journey. And the journey is what makes this thing called life worthwhile.


"Breathing in, I calm my body.
Breathing out, I smile.
Dwelling in the present moment,
I know this is a wonderful moment."

-  Thich Nhat Hanh




"I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples."

-  Mother Teresa


No comments:

Post a Comment