Thursday, August 22, 2013

Who are we?


"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

- Dr. Seuss

So often we seem to get so involved in our activities that we feel as if we are that activity. If someone asked you who you are, what would your answer be?

To be honest when I think about that question it actually seems very challenging to answer. Can we describe who we are? I have always had trouble with those questions that ask you to list your strengths. It does appear very interesting that it seems easier to list our weaknesses then our strengths. Maybe it's because we are always telling ourself what we need to improve on and forgetting to congratulate ourself for what we have done well. I know I can be very guilty of this. 

I guess you can say for sure that my injury has made me really think about who I am and who I thought I was before. Now I am not Kim the olympic weightlifter, not kim the crossfitter. now i am just Kim. Who is Kim? Do you think others know who I am more then me?

Well that is entirely possible. Which I guess gives me something to work on. It doesn't matter what my body is able to do deep inside I will always be Kim. I have so many great things to look forward to. So many great things I can accomplish. I can still be fit and healthy. And I can still be me. The idea of retiring from competing and lifting heavy weights doesn't bother me anymore. I know now that I will get better. I am sure there are people that keep going back to it. But I am listening to my body now. It's telling me to take it easy. I just want to be healthy. I don't want to go through this again. I know that the challenges in my life are not over but I am learning from this one. If I take care of my body it will take care of me. Don't let what you do and what others think define who you are. 

So who am I?

I am someone with determination. I have a kind heart. I am silly. I am someone with not the prettiest voice but with a voice that's heard. I am someone people remember. I love to inspire and be inspired. I love to do what others think and say to be impossible. I am someone with a terrible memory but knows how to get the job done. Who am I? I am Kim and this is my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment