Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Day 3: Adventures in Healthcare Leadership



Well I have to say each day I get a little more tired. I figured out today I was probably drinking too much coffee during the day which was keeping me up at night. Today I switched backed to my herbal teas and tried to drink more water. It helps for sure. They definitely feed us well but I can get back on my normal routine when I get home.

Overall I am having an amazing time. Of course going into a little brain overload and just working on getting excited about my future responsibilities vs. getting overwhelmed. 

The first speech today was Brene Brown. Author of Daring Greatly: How the courage to be vulnerable transforms the way we live, live, and lead. 
She was on TED talks: 

She also had an interview with opera:
http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Brene-Brown-Interviewed-by-Oprah-Daring-Greatly

She referenced a Theodore Roosevelt Quote:

The Man In The Arena:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Key Points:

-  You need to choose comfort or courage you can't have both.

-  Vulnerability is showing up when there are no guarantees. Being all in. 

-  We make up stories in our head. Find out what is really happening before you trust what you think is happening. 

- vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation.

-  If your not failing, your not trying. 

-   How often do you fill in the blank with these words?

Never__________enough

Good
Rich
Safe
Certain
Perfect
Extraordinary
Relevant

-  Vulnerability is uncertainty and risk.

-  You need share your stories with people who have earned the right to hear them.

-  It's about trusting others know the answers when you don't. 

-  Leadership is not having all the answers. 

-  Choose discomfort over resentment. 

-  The reason it's hard to say no to people is because we want to be liked. 

-  Ask yourself these questions:

Do I have enough data to freak out?

Will freaking out help?

-  You need to tell yourself, "I am enough" in order to practice vulnerability. 

-  If you don't go into giving feedback feeling vulnerable your not giving good feedback. 

She also changed one of my favorite quotes around. 

"What would you do if you knew you could not fail?"

Instead think of it as:

"What's worth doing even if you fail?"

She was excellent and real!!

Later on I was sitting next to a chief nursing officer and we introduced ourself. Starting with him and for some reason my insecurities came out when I introduced myself and I felt a little intimidated by their role. I preceded to introduce myself as "I am just a nurse." Ok so obviously I knew right after I said that that at this very motivational conference that was probably the wrong thing to say. Of course he told me to rephrase it. Lesson be learned. There are different types of leaders and even though part of my position being the co-chair of the clinical practice council and future chair for next year is my leadership position but do you have to have a leadership position to be a leader? Absolutely not. There are formal and informal leaders. When you talk about who you are and what you do say it with confidence. Be proud of who you are!

I did try a local beer at the end of the day which would make my husband proud. 




No comments:

Post a Comment