Sunday, September 1, 2013

Exploring the power of mantra

“The way to happiness: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry. Live simply, expect little, give much. Scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others.” 

-  Norman Vincent Peale


So I have tried using mantra in the past and sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't. During the last couple months while recovering from a back injury and trying to find the strength inside to heal, manage pain and continuing moving forward anyway I can. Mantra has been very useful in helping me through this process. 

First lets take a step back. What does mantra mean? Well basically it is a repeated word or phrase. Now does this phrase have some sort of magical power? Well that completely depends on what you say, how you say it and how much you believe the words you are saying. 

Now when you state your mantra you are going to want to state it as an affirmation.  An affirmation is something declared to be true; a positive statement or judgement. So starting your mantra out as I am vs. I will means you are currently in this state of being vs. wishing you were. Now it doesn't matter at all if you are really not but stating it in a way that says you are, will give you a greater chance of really being and believing you are how you want to be. 

Ok so lets get down to the details. Your mantra will probably depend on what is going on in your life, your struggles, and the way you aspire to be. 

Start of by taking in a couple deep breaths. Nice and slow, relaxed. Then move on to stating "I am" while breathing in. Then stating your positive word while breathing out. Examples are strong, powerful, motivated, happy, healed, peaceful, healthy, loved, determined etc. it's a positive powerful word stated in the present tense. You can even choose a couple words. This morning for my mantra I used: 

I am strong
I am loved
I am healed

I used this to help me in my journey. Me telling myself I am strong helps give me the strength I need to conquer any challenge I am faced with. Me telling myself I am loved. Reminds me that I am supported and loved by myself and others around me. Then I am healed helps me develop a connection with myself and send healing thoughts and vibes through my body to help my body heal and recover. 

The one thing I do know is it can't hurt. It's hard to think negative thoughts when your mind is too busy stating something positive. 

Did you try it? How did it make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment